The Life of Tulasi Devi
One of the most confusing traditions for Westerners to understand is the worship of a plant called Tulasi Devi. There is a lovely story attached to the practice, which explains many things, including why…
- Tulasi Devi is considered one of the Lord’s greatest devotees.
- She is worshipped daily in all Vaisnava temples.
- She descended from the spiritual world to this realm.
- She performed thousands of years of austerity to obtain Lord Vishnu as her husband.
- She became both the sacred Tulasi plant as well as the holy Gandaki River.
- All worship of Lord Vishnu must contain an offering of Tulasi leaves.
- Lord Krishna always wears a garland of Tulasi leaves around his neck.
- The Lord allowed Tulasi to curse Him to become a stone – a stone in which He manifests Himself as the Salagrama-sila.
- A conchshell is considered sacred and must be used in various worship ceremonies.
Also discover the many benefits of worshipping the Tulasi plant and Salagrama-sila. The original book, The Life of Tulasi Devi was reviewed and approved by Gopiparanadhana Dasa, Sanskrit editor of the BBT.
This narration is but a drop in the ocean of nectar existing in the form of audio books that have been narrated by Amal-bhakta Swami. This audio book as well as many others may be purchased as MP3 CD's on Krishna.com, Krishnaculture.com, Blservices.com (Europe) and Amalbhakta.com (for downloads only).